IRIS and ISABELLA

Thursday, June 11, 2009

Trip to Texas

On Thursday afternoon, June 11th we went to Austin, TX to visit our friends, John and Jenny Stokes. We had a great time but unfortunately I did not take any pictures. Sorry! On the way out we were delayed leaving the Charleston airport by over an hour due to weather. Then once we got to Atlanta we had to fly in circles over the airport for half an hour due to an airplane on the runway with "mechanical issues." Needless to say, we missed our connecting flight. Worse though---Iris missed her afternoon nap. We ran straight to the Sky Club and tried to get on the next flight to Austin. The next available flight was not until Friday evening so they put us on standby for a flight that left that night at 9:30. We had to wait until 9:30 at night with a fussy and exhausted baby to see if we could even get on the flight! So around 9:00 we go to gate "B2" to see if we have seats but are told by the Delta lady that the gate was changed to "E2" which happens to be on the other side of the airport and you have to ride a train to get there (yes, we checked the TV screens and they still said B2) We run down the airport, hop on the train and run to E2. At E2 we notice that a ton of people are there and we ask if they are all going to Austin, TX---NO, but they are all going to some city in TX. The lady at the gate sent every single person in the airport traveling to TX to gate B2! Aaaagghhh!! We run to the nearest Sky Club again and tell the lady what happened . She asks why we did not check the screen ----which by the way still says B2!!!! She does some checking and says our flight is going out of B1--right acroos from B2 where we origianlly started out. At this point it is 9:30 and even if we get seats we probably have missed our flight. Brad runs all the way back to the train to get back to the B wing. I run as well but I have Iris in a BabyBjorn and can only run so fast with her. Although I did Run up an escalator wearing her--yes, I said run. I thought I was going to have a heart attack right there! Anyway, I get there a few minutes after Brad and am informed that this flight is delayed until 10:30 so we will have to wait until then to see if we get seats. Did I mention Iris missed her afternoon nap? Did I mention that I want to cry at this point? We wait and at 10:30 we get seats--Hooray!!! We get seated and buckled up and sit there.....and sit there....and sit there. Apparently there was mistake in the paperwork regarding the gas in the plane and we can not leave until it is corrected. We sit in the plane at the gate for an HOUR!!! FINALLY, around 11:30 our flight takes off. We give Iris another bottle and she finally falls alseep but not before she throws up her formula all over Brad! OOPS!! It was a terribe trip there but once we arrived we had a great weekend. Here's the only pix I got which was taken Sunday morning at the Austin airport on the way home. Iris is hanging out having some breakfast. She is sitting in this little thing called a My Little Seat. You just slip it over any chir and buckle her in. I found it at Target but they are also online. Brad made fun of me for buying it but we used at the Atlanta airport food court when there were no highchairs and again in Austin where there were also no highchairs. I love it! It folds up to about the size if a diaper in a little baggie and I keep it in my diaper bag. It is great! I have also used it at Brad's office to give Iris a snack and keep her contained while I was helping him with some paperwork.

No comments: