IRIS and ISABELLA

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Windy City, sans the Kiddies

Brad and I went to Chicago last weekend without the kids. We had a great time. We visited the Hancock Building shown here... Here's a self portrait of us at the top of the building listening to our audio tour (yes, we are dorks)... Brad, being the neat freak that he is, thought the windows looked dirty so he decided to get some scaffolding and go clean them himself... It was my first time leaving both of the girls for more than one night. They seemed to have a good time being spoiled by their Nana and Papa though. So much so that when I picked up Iris from school her teacher verbally informed me as well as handed me a written daily status report that stated, "Iris had some trouble listening today. At one point I questioned whether or not she could hear me because she just ignored me all day." Then she told me that they had to put her in Time Out for the first time for refusing to help clean up. I should have been mad at her but it was the first part of that statement that caught my attention, "time out for the first time." I just assumed that Iris was put in time out on a semi-regular basis and they just never reported it to me because it was for the usual minor 2 year old offenses. I had no idea she had never been put in time out. I tried to show that I was disappointed in her but on the inside I was really feeling quite proud. I then did the only rational thing any mother would do. I explained to her that Iris spent the last three days being spoiled by her grandparents and just blamed her behavior on them.

2 comments:

Courtney said...

That last sentence made me die laughing.

Lynn Armstrong said...

Kim, I just read this, and I, too, am laughing - not at only your last sentence, but at all of your post. As a former teacher and a mom, albeit an old one, who remembers when a certain daughter would only once in a blue moon do anything "wrong" at school...I'm chuckling! Totally cute post. Cute kids, Kim - both of your daughters are darling. AND, I'm glad you got in a trip to my old hometown, Chicago!